Wednesday, October 31, 2012
We can add in the pear for this tea before serve.
We also can add in the pine nuts for this tea before serve.
In Korea, the Schisandra Chinensis is called " Omija", in Chinese is “五味子”。
This name comes from the fact that these berries possess all five flavors: sweet,sour,salty, spicy and bitter.
In Korea, we do use these berries to make wine and tea. We call it " Omija Su (Omija wine) and " Omija Cha (Omija Tea).
We can either serve it as cold drink or hot drink. In Korea, summer is the harvest season for Omija, we can either use the fresh berries or dried berries to make the Omija syrup for tea. From my experience, the color of Omija tea is more beautiful if you use the dried omija, it will be pink or red color; while the fresh one will be brown color.
The Omija syrup or tea is available at the Korean supermarket. If you want to make the syrup by yourself, you can buy the dried omija from the oriental drug stores,where Chinese medicines or herbs are available there.
In Korea, housewives like to let their children to drink omija tea as tonic medicine, especially for those candidates who are going to sit the examination.
“五味子”，学名是 Schisandra Chinensis； 在韩文，被称为 “ Omija”。
在韩国，我们用它来做成“五味子酒/ Omija Su"” 或 “五味子茶/Omija Cha".
How to use the the fresh omija to make the syrup for tea ?
Ingredients: fresh omija berries 500 g, sugar 1000 g or honey 700 g
1. Wash the fresh berries, rinse and drain.
2. Put one layer of sugar at the bottom of the glass container, place one layer of omija berries on top of the sugar...Repeat this process till well done.
3. Close the lid of the glass container. Ferment it for at least 3 months.
4. After 3 months, remove the omija berries from the syrup. Keep it in the fridge for storage.
5. You may use 4 Tsp of omija syrup and 160 cc of water ( either cold or hot water) to make a cup of omija tea.
How to use the dried omija berries to make omija tea ?
Ingredients : 1/2 cup of dried omija berries , water l.5 L
1. Boil the l.5 L of water. Set aside till it is not hot. ( If you use the mineral water, then no need to boil the water).
2. Put the dried omija berries in the water and soak it for 24 hours.
3. Remove the omija berries from the water.
4. Add in the sugar or honey, it depends on your taste.
5. Keep it in the fridge for consumption.
Monday, October 29, 2012
Dae-bong-kam, it is in "heart-shape" instead of the round shape.
" Persimmon", we call it "감/Kam" in Korean; "柿子/shizi" in Chinese; also known as Japanese persimmon or Kaki. These fruits are sweet, slightly tangy fruits with a soft to occasionally fibrous texture.
This is the " 대봉감 /Dae-bong-kam" in Korean. In Japan, it is named as " Hachiya" and in Chinese as "大峰柿子“。
This fruit has a high tannin content which makes the immature fruit astringent and bitter. The tannin levels are reduced as the fruit matures. Persimmons like " Dae-bong-kam" must be completely ripened before consumption. When ripe, this fruit comprises thick pulpy jelly encased in a waxy thin skinned shell. ( This sources are from wikipedia)
For my family, we like to place the Dae-bong-kam in the freezer , enjoy it as sorbet/冰沙。
Dried anchovies are commonly used for Korean cuisine ,especially for cooking the broth and the side dish for lunch box.
dried anchovies 220 g
Korean red pepper paste 1/2 Tsp
corn syrup 1 Tsp
sesame oil 1/2 tsp
roasted sesame seeds 1/2 tsp
1. Clean the dried anchovies by removing the heads and innards.
2. Heat the fry pan, add a spoonful of oil, deep fry the anchovies. Remove and set aside. ( For me, I like to remove the anchovies from the fry pan, so that I can remove the oil,then, it will not be too oily. I do clean the fry pan before I put the anchovies back again)
3. In a small bowl, mix well the sauce.
4. Put the anchovies back to the fry pan again,add the sauce and stir until mix it well.
5. Sprinkle the roasted sesame seeds.
Saturday, October 27, 2012
If you really want to enjoy the good taste of "Sundae guk", you must add in this ingredients before you taste it,chopped green onion,green pepper, red pepper powder,Korean shrimp sauce(새우젓) and perilla powder. (For my family, we like to add in at least one or two table spoons of perilla powder for each bowl of soup,that is the real taste of this soup)
" Sundae", is a Korea dish made generally by boiling of steaming cow or pig's intenstine that are stuffed with various ingredients.
Sundae can be made with seafood such as o-jing-o sundae ( 오징어 순대 squid sundae) and myeongdae sundae ( 명태 순대 Alaska pollock sundae).
The most common type of sundae is made of pig's intenstine stuffed with "dangmyeon",pork blood, although some variants also contain perilla leaves, scallions, glutinous rice, kimchi and soybean sprouts.
"Sundae-guk"(순대국) soup-like dish made with sundae, sometimes it includes fatty pieces intestine ( "gopchang"),liver, lungs,bit of cartilage and meat.
(资料来源 ： 百科全书）
"Sundae" ( please pronounce "sun" as "soon" ).
Today, I cook this dish by using the beef bone soup,we call it " Gomtang/곰탕" and add in the sundae. "Gomtang" made with various beef parts such as ribs, oxtail,brisket,ox's head or ox bones by slow simmering on a low flame,we may even cook it for one of two days. The broth of " Gomtang" tends to have a milky colour with a rich and hearty taste.
Sundae is a very common and popular snack in Korea, is available at the snack corner,supermarket or street vendor. Both fresh and frozen sundae are available in the market. Normally, Korean do not make sundae at home.
“Sundae",请将 sun，以 “soon” 来发音。
今天，我是用了牛骨汤来作上汤，然后加入 sundae。这牛骨汤，韩文称为 “gomtang”，有的是用牛骨，牛排骨，牛尾，牛头，牛骨等部位，以小火，经长时间所熬出的汤。花上一两天的时间去熬也不足为奇。 汤呈乳白色。
Friday, October 26, 2012
We call it "수삼( Su-sam)" in Korean,small in shape.
Buttercup Squash. we call it 단호박 ( Dan-hobak) in Korean. with a flattish top and dark green skin, normally heavy with dense, yellow-orange fresh.
Buttercup Squash can be roasted, baked and mashed into soups. I do like to use it to make pumpkin puree and salad. Today, I am going to share with you the Korean style ' Steam Buttercup Squash with rice("Dan-hobak yongyang bab"
笋瓜（学名：Cucurbita maxima）为葫芦科南瓜属的植物。韩文称为“단호박 (Dan-hobak)
one Buttercup squash
1 cup of mixed rice ( I use brown rice,glutinous brown rice and black rice)
red dates 4 pieces ( slice into thin pieces)
chestnuts 10 pieces
ginkgo 20 pieces
ginseng 10 g ( you may use the dried sliced ginseng , for me, I use "수삼( su-sam),fresh and small ginseng)
black beans 1 Tsp
a pinch of salt
1. Using the tip of a knife, score a circle on the surface of the upper part of the buttercup squash, about 8 cm in diameter. Use the knife to cut it out as the " squash lid".
2. Remove the seeds. Wash and drain, set aside.
3. Wash the rice and drain it. Add in the red dates, chestnuts,ginkgo,ginseng,black beans and salt.
4. Transfer rice mixture into the electric rice cooker and pour in the water. Leave rice to cook till dry and grainy.
5. Stuff the cooked rice into the buttercup squash and cover it with the "squash lid".
6. Place the stuffed buttercup squash in the steamer, steam it for about 20-25 minutes or till the squash is soft.
7. Serve hot.
红枣 4 粒 （切成丝状）
栗子 10 粒
银杏 20 粒
人参 10 g （我是用“水参”，您可用乾的人参片代替）
黑豆 1 Tsp
1. 用刀尖在笋瓜的顶面划出一个直径 8 cm 长的圆形。 用刀割除这个小圆形，成为一个小园盖。
4. 将 （3）放入电饭锅，加入水，将它煮熟（就像平是著饭那样）。
6. 将整个笋瓜放入蒸笼内，蒸约 20-25 分钟或直到笋瓜熟为止。
Wednesday, October 24, 2012
My baking tray for Baguette Bread.
Baguette, is a long loaf of French bread. It is long and crisp cust.
Baguettes are often sliced and served with cheese. In France, slices of baguette are spread with butter and jam and dunked in bowls of coffee or hot chocolate.
Baguettes are generally made as partially free-form loaves, with the loaf formed with a series of folding and rolling motions, raised in cloth-lined baskets or in rows on a flour-impregnated towel, called a couche, and baked either directly on the hearth of a deck oven or in special perforated pans designed to hold the shape of the baguette while allowing heat through the perforations.
For me, I do use the bread loaf, split it in half to make French Bread Pizza.
(A) bread flour 350g
cake flour 150g
(B) water 330 cc
1. Sift the flour.
2. Mix (A) till well blended.
3. Add (B) and knead to form a smooth and elastic dough.
4. Leave it to rise for 90 minutes
5. Punch out the air.
6. Divide the dough into 3 pieces, mould them into balls and let them rest for 30 minutes.
7. Flatten the dough and make them into long stick shape.
8. Leave them to prove for 90-120 minutes.
9. Brush them with water and slash the top with a sharp knife for 3 or 4 times.
10. Preheat the oven for about 20 minutes at 250 degree C and put a baking tray full of water, the purpose is to provide stem in the oven or you may place some small stones in a baking tray ,heat them in the oven at 250 degree C about 20 minutes ,when you are ready to bake the bread, spray some water on the hot stones. This will help to produce stem and it will help the bread become crusty.
11. Bake the bread at 220 degree C for 20 - 30 minutes.
12. Leave to cool before serve.
Tuesday, October 23, 2012
In Korean, we call "squid" as " O-jing-O 오징어" .
one big size of squid
1/2 of carrot
1/2 of onion
1 green onion
roasted sesame seeds
Korean red pepper paste 2 Tsp
red pepper powder 1 Tsp
rice wine 1 Tsp
corn syrup 1 1/2 Tsp
minced garlic 1 Tsp
minced ginger 1 tsp
sesame oil 1 Tsp
1. Remove the ink bag and cartilage of the squid, peel the skin, wash it. Using the tip of a knife, score the inner side of the body diagonally in a diamond pattern.
2. Cut it into 1 1/2 by 2 inch rectangles.
3. Slice the carrot, onion and green onion.
4. In a bowl, mix all the ingredients for sauce well.
5. In a hot pan, add a little bit of oil, fry the carrot,onion first, when it becomes soft, add in the squid,green onion and the sauce. Stir it well ( Please don't fry the squid for too long time, the squid should be soft and not hard to bite)
6. Sprinkle the sesame seeds before serve.
This is a very small & popular snack in Korea.
In 1950,1960 sweet potatoes were the main foodstuff for the low income group. Recently, it has been crowned as " well being food". In Korea, quite a number of cancer patients, sweet potatoes are the main food after surgery.
在50，60年代蕃薯应该是一般小市民，填饱肚子的食物之一。曾几何时，它已冠上了 “well being”的名堂！在韩国，有不少癌症患者，在动过手术后，以蕃薯作为主食；它也是节食者的宠儿。。。
2 medium size of sweet potatoes
corn syrup( is available at the Korean supermarket, we call it "물엿")
roasted black sesame seeds or white sesame seeds
1 tsp of frying flour
1. Peel the skin of the sweet potatoes. Wash and drain it by kitchen tower. Cut it in cube form.
2. Put the sweet potatoes and flour in a plastic bag and shake it. The purpose is to coat the sweet potatoes evenly with the flour.
3.. Heat the cooking oil in a pan, fry the sweet potatoes till golden brown color.
4. After frying, use the kitchen tower to remove the oil on the sweet potatoes(optional).
5. Coat the sweet potatoes by adding in the corn syrup while it is still hot ( it depends on your taste, for me, I don't put much because it will be too sweet). Sprinkle some sesame seeds on it.
蕃薯 2 粒
韩式麦芽糖 少许 （在韩国超市可买到，称为 “물엿")
1 tsp 面粉
3.. 在锅里倒入少许油，待热后，将薯块放入，炸至金黄色 （ 一般上，我都不用大量的油来炸。因为用少量的油，所以必须常翻动薯块，这样才能将每一面炸至金黄色）
Monday, October 22, 2012
( This recipe is from www.christinesrecipes.com/2011/02/japanese-cheesecake.html,thanks)
fresh milk 250 ml
cream cheese 250 g
butter 60 g
cake flour 55 g
corn starch 20 g
cream of tartar 1/4 tsp
sugar 100 g
1. Place the butter and cream cheese under room temperature , till soft.
2. Prepare a waxed paper lined round cake pan.
3. Sift the cake flour for 3 times.
4. Preheat the over over 150 degree C with a tray of water ( water-bath).
5. Heat the fresh milk with low heat, switch off the fire when it starts to boil.
6. Place the fresh milk, butter and cream cheese over double-boiler, till the butter and cream cheese fully melted. Set aside to cool.
7. Whip yolk and add into ( 6 ), add in the cake flour, mix well until well blended.
8. Whip whites by adding the sugar in 3 times, until foamy.
9. Add in cream of tartar, whip until soft peak.
10. Gently fold 1/3 whites into yolk mixture until well mixed.
11. Fold in the rest of the whites.
12. Place the batter into the baking pan. Place on top on water-bath.
13. Bake in preheated oven for 50-60 minutes. Leave cake in oven with oven switch off and leave the door open ajar to cool for about 10 minutes.
14. Place the cake in the refrigerator for 3 hours before serve.
Saturday, October 20, 2012
Fresh Jujube(red date)/新鲜的红枣.
My husband bought a box of jujubes. This jujubes are from the Boeun Gun(보은군) in Korea. It is called "Boeun Loess Jujube(보은황토대추)
我先生买了一盒红枣。这是产自韩国 Boeun Gun （보은군）的红枣，称为Boeun Loess Jujube(보은황토대추)。
One of the Jujube trees near my house/ 我家附近的一棵红枣树
Autumn is the harvest season for Jujube too. Jujube, is also called Red Date.
The freshly harvested as well as the candied dried fruits are often eaten as a snack or with tea. In Korea, a swentened tea syrup or jujube tea in the form of teabags is also available.
In Korea, jujubes are called " Daechu 대추" and are used in Daechu tea ,"Samgyetang( chicken ginseng soup)",etc.
In Korea, "Daechu Su/Jujube Wine (대추수)/红枣酒" is available at the market. We do also make it at home, the jujubes are preserved by storing in a jar filled with liquor.
In the traditional Korean wedding ceremony, it is a Korean tradition that the newly weds get married, they will be holding onto the clothes and have to catch those chestnuts and jujubes which their parents throw at them, as a good luck charm for fertility; chestnuts represent daughters and jujubes are the symbol of sons in Korean culture.
Friday, October 19, 2012
Red wine is a type of wine made from dark-coloured (black) grape varieties. The actual colour of the wine can range from intense violet, typical of young wines, through to brick red for mature wines and brown for older red wines.
The juice from most black grapes is greenish-white; the red colour comes from anthocyan pigments (also called anthocyanins) present in the skin of the grape; exceptions are the relatively uncommon teinturier varieties, which produce a red colored juice. Much of the red-wine production process therefore involves extraction of colour and flavour components from the grape skin.
Wine has a long history of use as an early form of medication, being recommended variously as a safe alternative to drinking water, an antiseptic for treating wounds and a digestive aid, as well as a cure for a wide range of ailments from lethargy and diarrhea to easing the pain of child birth
bread flour 500g
dried yeast 15g
red wine 185cc
butter 75g or grape seeds oil 75g
blue berry 150g
1. Mix (A) till well blended.
2. Add (B) and knead to form a dough.
3. Add (C) continue to knead to form a smooth and elastic dough and add in (D).
4. Cover dough with damp cloth . Let it proves for 50 to 60 minutes or till it doubles in size.
5. Punch out the air.
6. Divide the dough into 3 portions and mould them into balls. Let them rest for 15 minutes.
7. Flatten the dough balls and roll them out into long loafs.
8. Put them on the baking tray and to prove for 40 minutes.
.9. Bake at 180 degree C for 40 minutes in the oven or until it turns golden brown colour.
10. Leave to cool before serve.
( P/s : If you have bread machine, then put all the ingredients in the machine at the same time. In case for my machine, it will take 1 hour and 23 minutes to process. Once you take out the dough from the machine, start from the process no (5)
Thursday, October 18, 2012
"아귀"/Agu or Agwi in Korean, is the Anglerfish or Monkfish or Goosefish. Anglerfish is an excellent source of protein and has taste as well as a palatable chewy texture.
"Agujjim or Agwujjim" is originated from Masan, South Gyeongsang Province in Korea. Prior to 1940s,this fish was not eaten and was discarded due to it ugly appearance and low commercial value.
For the traditional Masan Agujjim, agwi dried for 15 days to 30 days is used and then marinated with seasonings, while other regions use fresh agwi.
“焖鮟鱇鱼”，这道菜源自韩国庆尚道，马山。 据说在 1940 年以前，韩国人不太愿意吃这种鱼，因为其外貌丑陋及没什麽商业价值。
传统的“焖鮟鱇鱼”，使用已晒乾了 15 -30 天的鮟鱇鱼，再加上酱料来烹调。 在其他地区则采用新鲜的鮟鱇鱼。
bean sprouts 300g
green onion / spring onion 1
a pinch of salt
roasted sesame seeds 1 tsp
minced garlic 2 Tsp
ginger juice 1 Tsp
red pepper powder 2 Tsp
Korean red pepper paste 2 Tsp
( Originally, 4 Tsp of red pepper powder is required; my family likes the red pepper paste rather than red pepper powder,therefore, I used 2 Tsp of red pepper paste to substitute it)
Korean soy bean sauce 1 1/2 Tsp
"청주/chong ju" or " rice wine 1 Tsp
corn syrup 1 1/2 Tsp
corn starch 1 or 2 Tsp ( it depends on the broth in the wok )
1. Remove the internal organs of the anglerfish.
2. Clean the fish and cut into bite sizes.
3. Sprinkle a pinch of salt on the fish and place the anglerfish in a big bowl and steam in steamer ( must use a bowl because the broth from the fish is required). Stem it for about 10 - 15 minutes.
4. Remove the tail of the bean sprouts ( some restaurants in Korea, they remove both the head and tail of the bean sprouts and only use the stem only for this dish).
5. Steam the bean sprouts, remove from the steamer when the bean sprouts turn soft. Set aside.
6. Wash the green onion and watercress, cut it for about 4 cm long. Set aside.
7. Mix all the ingredients for seasonings. Set aside.
8. Pour the broth in a wok and place in the anglerfish, add in the seasonings when the broth is boiling. Stir it well. cook it with medium heat.
9. Cook until the fish is almost cooked through, add in the corn starch, stir it well.
10. Finally, place the steamed bean sprouts, green onion and watercress on top of the fish. Stir it well and cook for about 5 minutes.
11. Sprinkle some roasted sesame seeds on top of it before serve.
Wednesday, October 17, 2012
A present from a friend. My husband's friend , he picked up these chestnuts when he was hiking in a mountain.
- Chestnut can be peeled and eaten raw,roasted or can also be eaten candied, boiled,steamed,grilled or roasted in sweet or savoury recipe. They can be used to stuff vegetables,poultry fowl and other edibles. They are also available fresh,dried,ground or canned
Monday, October 15, 2012
In Korea, autumn is the harvest season for chestnuts.
Fresh chestnut fruits have about 180 calories per 100 grams of edible fruits, which is much lower than walnuts, almonds and other nuts. Chestnuts contain no cholesterol and contain very little fat, mostly unsaturated and no gluten.
Chestnuts have twice as much starch as the potato. They are the only " nuts" that contain Vitamin C.
每一100g 的栗子含有 180 的卡路里，这比核桃，杏仁或其他的果仁来的低。 栗子也不含胆固醇 和脂肪。
(A) bread flour 450g
yeast 2 tsp
salt 1 tsp
(B) water or milk 200ml
(C) butter 30g ( for me I use grape seeds oil )
(D) sliced almonds 120g
chestnuts 600g ( cut it into small cube form)
sugar 6 Tsp
water 6 Tsp
( Boil the sweet potatoes together with the sugar and water with medium heat. Reduce the heat to a low simmer and braise by occasionally spooning the sauce over the sweet potatoes ,continue cooking until the sweet potatoes have absorbed the sauce and are flavorful) ,remove from heat and set aside.
1. Mix all the ingredients for filling, except butter. Set aside.
2. Mix (A) till well blended.
3. Add (B) and knead to form a dough.
4. Add (C), continue to knead to form a smooth and elastic dough.
5. Cover the dough with a damp cloth. Let it prove for 50 to 60 min or till it doubles in size.
6. Punch out the air.
7. Divide the dough into 2 potions and let it rest for 15 min.
8. Flatten and roll out the dough into a long rectangle respectively, about 21cm x 32cm.
9. Brush the melted butter over the dough, leaving about 0.75cm around the edges clear.
10. Divide "the filling" into 2 potions. Sprinkle " the filling" on the surface of the dough, leaving about 0.75cm around the edges clear . Roll it up respectively and trim the edges.
11. Cut the rolled dough, about 4cm each. Place the dough on the baking cup .spread the sliced almonds on top of the surface and rest for another 30 min.
12. Preheat the oven for 5 min.
13. Bake for 15-20 min at 180 degree C or till it turns golden brown colour.
14. Remove from the oven.
Sunday, October 14, 2012
I took this picture when I went to a wet market in Gyeonggi Do,Kwangju.
Physalis alkekengi (Bladder cherry, Chinese lantern, Japanese lantern, or Winter cherry; Japanese: hōzuki), is a relative of P. peruviana (Cape Gooseberry), easily identifiable by the larger, bright orange to red papery covering over its fruit, which resemble paper lanter. It is native from southern Europe east across southern Asia to Japan.
The dried fruit of Physalis alkekengi is called Kaknaj in the Unani system of medicine, and used as a diuretic, antiseptic, liver corrective, and sedative.
| 主治 熱咳，咽痛，黃疸，痢疾，水腫，疔瘡，丹毒。酸漿根: 瘧疾，黃疸，疝氣|
( sources: wikipedia )
Thursday, October 11, 2012
“명태(Myeong-tae)/Alaska Pollock or Walleye Pollock is one of the Korean favourite fishes. If Korea, if it is a frozen Alaska Pollock, we name it "동태 (dong-tae)"; if it is half frozen, we call it "코다리 (ko-da-ri); if it is a dried Alaska Pollock, it is called "북어 ( buk-kor); if has been dried, to freeze it and dry it again, repeat this process for a few times, we call it "황태(hwang-tae).
明太鱼 （ Alaska Pollock or Walleye Pollock ）是韩国人喜爱吃的鱼类之一。同样是明太鱼，不同的处理方法，韩国人则给予它不同的名字；若将明太鱼冰冻，称为 “冬太(동태)"；半冰冻状态的称为 "코다리";被嗮乾的，称为“福鱼 (북어)";被嗮乾后，将它冰冻，又再嗮乾，冰冻，如此反复数次，称为 “黄太鱼(황태).
Dried Alaska Pollock 1
Korean red pepper sauce 3 Tsp
minced garlic 1/2 Tsp
roasted sesame seeds 1/2 tsp
sesame oil 1/2 Tsp
Korean soy bean sauce 1/2 Tsp
fresh pear juice 1 Tsp ( optional) / or water 1 Tsp
corn syrup 1 Tsp
1. Cut the dried Alaska Pollock into bite size pieces with scissors.
2. Soak the dried Alaska Pollock in water for a few minutes.
3. Hold the dried Alaska Pollock pieces in your palms and squeeze out the excess water.
4. In a small bowl, mix all the ingredients for marinating the dried Alaska Pollock.
5. Brush the marinade on the dried Alaska Pollock and let stand to marinate. For me, I like to marinate it for overnight, the taste will be more better.
6. In a hot pan, add a little bit of oil and grill the dried Alaska Pollock with low heat until both sides are lightly browned.
2. 调好以上的调味料，塗在明太鱼的腹部 （背面不塗）/也可以先将明太鱼剪成小块状后，塗在它的腹部上