Thursday, October 18, 2012
Agujjim(Braised spicy anglerfish)/아귀찜/焖鮟鱇鱼
"아귀"/Agu or Agwi in Korean, is the Anglerfish or Monkfish or Goosefish. Anglerfish is an excellent source of protein and has taste as well as a palatable chewy texture.
"Agujjim or Agwujjim" is originated from Masan, South Gyeongsang Province in Korea. Prior to 1940s,this fish was not eaten and was discarded due to it ugly appearance and low commercial value.
For the traditional Masan Agujjim, agwi dried for 15 days to 30 days is used and then marinated with seasonings, while other regions use fresh agwi.
“焖鮟鱇鱼”，这道菜源自韩国庆尚道，马山。 据说在 1940 年以前，韩国人不太愿意吃这种鱼，因为其外貌丑陋及没什麽商业价值。
传统的“焖鮟鱇鱼”，使用已晒乾了 15 -30 天的鮟鱇鱼，再加上酱料来烹调。 在其他地区则采用新鲜的鮟鱇鱼。
bean sprouts 300g
green onion / spring onion 1
a pinch of salt
roasted sesame seeds 1 tsp
minced garlic 2 Tsp
ginger juice 1 Tsp
red pepper powder 2 Tsp
Korean red pepper paste 2 Tsp
( Originally, 4 Tsp of red pepper powder is required; my family likes the red pepper paste rather than red pepper powder,therefore, I used 2 Tsp of red pepper paste to substitute it)
Korean soy bean sauce 1 1/2 Tsp
"청주/chong ju" or " rice wine 1 Tsp
corn syrup 1 1/2 Tsp
corn starch 1 or 2 Tsp ( it depends on the broth in the wok )
1. Remove the internal organs of the anglerfish.
2. Clean the fish and cut into bite sizes.
3. Sprinkle a pinch of salt on the fish and place the anglerfish in a big bowl and steam in steamer ( must use a bowl because the broth from the fish is required). Stem it for about 10 - 15 minutes.
4. Remove the tail of the bean sprouts ( some restaurants in Korea, they remove both the head and tail of the bean sprouts and only use the stem only for this dish).
5. Steam the bean sprouts, remove from the steamer when the bean sprouts turn soft. Set aside.
6. Wash the green onion and watercress, cut it for about 4 cm long. Set aside.
7. Mix all the ingredients for seasonings. Set aside.
8. Pour the broth in a wok and place in the anglerfish, add in the seasonings when the broth is boiling. Stir it well. cook it with medium heat.
9. Cook until the fish is almost cooked through, add in the corn starch, stir it well.
10. Finally, place the steamed bean sprouts, green onion and watercress on top of the fish. Stir it well and cook for about 5 minutes.
11. Sprinkle some roasted sesame seeds on top of it before serve.