Thursday, September 27, 2012
How to make acorn jelly(Dotori Muk) powder & Seasoned Dotori Muk/도토리가루 만들기& 도토리무침
The Acorn or Oak Nut, is the nut of the oak. It is usually contains a single seeds, enclosed is tough, leathery shell .
Acorns are a vital food source for squirrels. Acorns served also an important role in food resources.
In Korea, an edible jelly named Dotori Muk is made from acorns and Dotori Guksu( Noodle) are Korean noodles made from acorn flour or starch.
(A) How to make the Acorn Powder ?(도토리가루)
1. Dry the acorns for one or two days before you peel the acorns,this will be more easier to peel.
2. Finely grind with water in the blender and put the ground nuts in a big container .
3. After that, pour water in the container, must cover over the surface.
4. After pouring the water, leave quietly for sediment to be subsided.
5. Pour away the above water and fill it once more.
6. It is more appetizing, if you repeat steps 4 & 5 more.
7. Pour away the water and dry the sediment.
8. You may sieve the sediment ( optional), it will be more soft.
(B) How to make the Dotori Muk ?
acorn powder 1 cup
water 6 cups
salt 2 tsp
1.Whisk acorn powder in the water, make sure there are no chunks.
2. Blend it well and let stand for a while.
3. Sieve into a pan and boil. Have to stir continuously and have to scrape the bottom of the pan to prevent scorching. When it begins to boil, please reduce to low heat, and keep on stirring, the longer it simmers, the bouncier it will be.
4. Pour the boiled acorn liquid into a container. To flatten the surface and let it stands in a cool and shady place.
( P/s : If you keep the acorn jelly in the refrigerator for a few days, it will be stiffer; in this case, you may blanch it in the hot water and quickly remove from the water, it will become soft )
Seasoning the Dotori Muk :
soy bean sauce 2 Tsp
minced garlic 1 tsp
chopped spring onion 2 Tsp
sesame oil 1 Tsp
sesame seeds 1 Tsp
red pepper powder 1tsp
vinegar 1 tsp
1. Slice the Dotori Muk into pieces and garnish with the sources. You can also add in sliced cucumber or carrot if you want.